top of page

ABOUT US

Founders

Wilf & Jo Charlton
Founders

Our Story

A brief history of Springfield Mill.

In 1979 Springfield Mills was acquired by the Charlton family to display, store and distribute American furniture made by Broyhill Furniture Inc., one of the largest furniture manufacturers in the United States.

This furniture was supplied to Harrods, Debenhams, Selfridges, John Lewis Partnership and other stores nationwide.

After trading successfully for several years, the business suffered badly by the strength of the dollar and it was decided to close the business and to concentrate on creating and renting individual units for retail and business use.

To help their tenants the family offered short term contracts which, at that time, was almost unheard of.

When the mill was bought from Qualitex in 1979 it was closing down with around 105 people loosing their jobs.

Now, it gives the family great pleasure that 100 or so people from the surrounding area are employed at the Mill, full or part time!

The Mill history is a little sketchy as to when it was first opened but records indicated that Brownhills & Scatchard moved to Springfield Mills in 1900 from nearby Inkerman Mills where they had been from 1868.

These owners occupied the mill for many years specialising in the making of fine silks and chiffon for gowns and wedding dresses.  In fact the company produced a bolt of silk for the Queen Mother’s wedding dress for her marriage to the future George VI in 1923.

During the war years the company also produced parachutes. Brownhills was taken over in 1961 by Qualitex Silks of Colne, Lancashire and this company ended manufacturing at the mill in 1979 where it was left until it was purchased by the Charltons.

bottom of page